Estate planning for some reason is a task a lot of people put on their “To Do” list but it never seems to work its way to the top of the list. Why is that?
People have many reasons for procrastinating. For some, estate planning causes them to have to think about their deaths, which is uncomfortable. For some, they don’t want to have to make important decisions about who will be their successor trustee or receive their assets. Another reason is that while many people realize the importance of estate planning, they don’t feel the urgency of it.
Estate planning is not just “important”, but it is also “urgent” if:
1. You own a home.
2. You have children under the age of 18.
3. You own a business.
4. You own property out of state.
5. You have assets valued at more than $100,000.
6. You have concerns about who would handle your financial affairs if you were incapacitated.
7. You feel strongly about health care decisions that might be made for you if you were unable to make them for yourself.
This list, as you can see, covers pretty much everyone. If you have questions as to why you need an estate plan such as a will or a trust, contact us. If you have put estate planning on your “To Do List” but it didn’t make it to the top of your list in 2009, put it at the top of your “Urgent To Do List” for 2010. Call us at Law Office of Scott C. Soady, A Professional Corporation to schedule your appointment for the new year and have a Happy New Year!!