A number of new laws are going into effect on January 1, 2011. Here are just a few:
1. Possession of marijuana of an ounce or less will be an infraction rather than a misdemeanor.
2. Toyota Prius cars will no longer be able to use the car pool lane.
3. Similar to the Amber Alert, a Blue Alert will indicate that an officer is down and a suspect is on the loose.
4. Parents can go to jail and be fined up to $2000 if their child misses more than 10 % of the school year.
5. New building codes will rquires automatic fire sprinklers in all new single family homes.
6. Companies that employ 15 or more workers must provide paid leave for an employee who donates an organ or bone marrow.
7. Social hosts that knowingly provide alcohol to persons under 21 can be held legally liable if that individual causes personal injury or death or property damage.
8. In San Diego, pedicab drivers will be required to have valid driver’s licenses.
9. New school classrooms that are build must be able to be locked from the inside.
10. It will be a misdemeanor to use email or social networking sites to impersonate someone.
Happy New Year to all from the lawyers and support staff of Scott C. Soady, A Professional Corporation!