Published on:

Military Personnel – Getting your affairs in order before you deploy

San Diego County is home to many members of the military stationed at Camp Pendleton, MCRD, MCAS Miramar, and the various Navy facilities such as 32nd Street Naval Station, Navy Submarine Support Facilities and Naval Base Coronado.

When a member of the military gets orders to deploy out of the area, they often need to get their estate planning and financial affairs in order. Some of the things to think about are a power of attorney for finances, a will or a trust, a designation of guardians for your minor children. If you are a single parent or both parents are deployed, you may want to execute a document naming a temporary guardian for your children. This may also include authorizations to permit the guardian to obtain medical care for your children in your absence.

JAG attorneys on the base often provide some of these documents for military personnel but if you have a unique situation, it may be worthwhile to consult a private attorney. Situations that may make this advisable are children with special needs such as autism, mental retardation, cerebral palsy, or any other physical or mental disability that would require special provisions in your estate plan. Real property in more than one state or an estate in general that is over $100,000 may warrant a revocable living trust. Also if you have a trust prepared in California, it is valid in any other state you might subsequently live.

If you need assistance with an estate planning matter, call us or email us at Law Office of Scott C. Soady, A Professional Corporation for a complimentary in-house consultation. Also if a family member dies who is in the military and there is an estate to settle, we would be pleased to meet with you about what to do next.

Contact Information