Published on:

Transferring a Vehicle without Probate

In California, the transfer of a car or other vehicle can be done without probate through the DMV. If you are an heir of someone who has died, you can transfer title even though there will be a probate or trust administration. You do have to wait at least 40 days from the date of death before you can transfer ownership.

The DMV form called “Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate” must be completed for all motor vehicles licensed in California. In additional to this form you will also need the Certificate of Title, an Odometer Disclosure Statement, a Statement of Facts, and pay the transfer fee.

DMV offices are located all over San Diego County, in the cities of Oceanside, El Cajon, Chula Vista, Poway, Escondido, Claremont and downtown.

Our experienced probate lawyers at Law Office of Scott C. Soady, A Professional Corporation can assist you with any other issues you have relating to probate in San Diego County.

Posted in:
Published on:

Comments are closed.

Contact Information