Published on:

Your Continuing Responsibilities as a Guardian

During the time you are the appointed guardian of a minor child, you are responsible for providing
for all the personal needs of that minor such as food, shelter, education, and health needs.
Your responsibilities remain in effect until the child reaches the age of 18 or the guardianship is terminated by the Court.

You must file a Confidential Guardianship Status Report each year you are acting as guardian. The status report asks such questions as whether you have any health problems that would interfere with you continuing as a guardian, whether anyone in your household has been arrested, charged with, or convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor or any other offense involving alcohol, drugs, or sexual misconduct. You also have to report on the minor’s progress in school, his grades, activities, and any behavior problems. If the child has medical issues, those have to be disclosed and the names of all health care providers. You also should report the goals you have set for the child, whether there has been visitation by the child’s mother and father, and if the parents have financially contributed to the support of the minor.

You must notify the court of a move out of state. You must have the permission of the Court to move a child under guardianship in California to another state. A petition to fix residence out of state has to be filed with the Court who will consider whether it is in the best interests of the child to be moved out of California.

There also are restrictions on allowing the child to live with their parents or someone other than you. If you are appointed a guardian of a minor, you cannot allow the child to live somewhere else such as with their parents. You are legally responsible for the child and if the child is going to live with anyone other than you, you must seek the Court’s permission.

If you need help establishing a guardianship of a minor, the lawyers at Scott C. Soady, A Professional Corporation can guide you through the process. We also can continue to represent you after you have been appointed a guardian until your responsibilities are over either because the child has turned 18 or the guardianship has been terminated.

Contact Information